Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Say what you feel, not what you think you should say

Let me be clear, i am, if anything receptive to negative feedback, i am capable of handling the truth, i am strong enough to handle knock out punch after knock out punch...so when i start feeling a weird animosity, like say in a work place, how should i proceed.  My first instinct is to call a meeting with this person, and flat out say how i feel. i don't have a problem doing that.  In fact, i'm debating if that is my only option, but i do feel i'm struggling to maintain professional relationships with certain people...and minus the obvious lack of experience in the department next to the other team members, i can't figure out what could possibly be the root cause of this semi-noticable glaring blast of tension. Confronting the problem is not the difficult part, it's how it affects me after i walk out of the office that i'm worried about. I think i just needed to write this out to rationalize my thoughts and to reassure myself that there are plenty of diplomatic and professional ways to handle this matter.

But i remain stagnant on this: I am an adult, if you can't handle telling me how you feel, then i suggest you suck it up and treat me like you treat others.  It's something we were all programmed to do, treat others as you want to be treated. it's not a difficult concept. we DON'T need to be friends outside of work...i'm more then okay with that.

Stay Tuned....

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, that's how grown ups act. I'd like to say that yours is a unique situation, but I would be lying. I agree however, that if someone doesn't like someone else in the work place, be an adult and treat them with the same respect with which you treat everyone else in the office.

    ReplyDelete